Baby Monitor in a Button
Monbaby is a wearable sleep sensor for your newborn baby packed in a “smart” button. “Smart button” technology is a universal sleep analyzer that can be attached to any article of clothing. It snaps just as easily to your father’s favorite pajamas as to your newborn baby onesies.
This technology is applicable to all ages, but we decided to first implement it parents of newborn babies and small kids.
Using this product you will be able to lift your anxiety about how your newborn babies sleep at night. Monbaby does it by measuring and classifying motion, movements, position, orientation and activity levels and sending it to parents smartphone. It detects breathing and falls and streams data to a smartphone app, where information is displayed in a convenient, easy-to-understand manner.
Monbaby contains a precise MEMS 14bit accelerometer that measures movements, breathing, orientation and activity level. Measurements are done in real-time, 5 times per second and transmitted over Bluetooth (4.0) Low Energy to an iPhone app or any Smart Bluetooth capable device. The sensor is powered by 3V coin-cell battery giving 5 weeks of constant use and 1 year in passive mode. The antenna operating range is 40 ft in the line of sight, but it may be more limited in some homes depending on environment, such as wall materials, electromagnetic noise and other obstructions.
Measurements are transmitted over Bluetooth (4.0) Low Energy to an iPhone or Android smartphone
The latest crowd-funding campaign video:
The video of a fully functional prototype for iPhone is here:
and for Android here:
Here is our presentation at CES 2012:
Smartphone apps re-transmit data further to a cloud, so that information could be shared on the web site. Historical data can be viewed on the web. Our Bio-Data Analytics Library is developed to apply more sophisticated data analysis to detect any deviations from norm. We see it as a step toward real-time diagnosis.
Unlike existing baby monitors that only monitor baby activity passively, Monbaby warns parents if baby turned around and sleeping on a stomach, giving parents plenty of time to go and turn baby face up, as sleeping on stomach has risks associated with SIDS. It also does not have dangerous cords. RF emissions of Bluetooth Low Energy are 10 times less than existing baby monitors RF emissions. Most importantly we working on Bio-Data Analytics Tools that could integrate with other devices and databases.
Same technology stack works for your elder parents from convenience of their homes.
People wear jewelry, rings, bracelets. In the future, we see all the jewelry will perform function of health monitoring. We envision development of the whole new markets of Bio-Data analytics, where jewelry and clothing will turn into real-time health monitors and will be part of on-going real-time diagnosis systems. No longer will we go to doctors for them to find out what’s wrong, doctors will call us when they see troubling signs on our health dashboard.
We see Monbaby as a first step towards it.
Monbaby let’s you know that your loved ones are sleeping fine.
- What can Monbaby measure?
- Who should use Monbaby?
- What devices can be used to receive Monbaby data?
- What other potential usages for Monbaby?
- Any concerns about using Monbaby?
What can Monbaby measure?
- Body temperature [not yet implemented]
Who should use Monbaby?
- Any household who has babies or young children
- Newborn babies in hospital nursery room
- Young children in hospital pediatric department
- Elderly in the elderly caring facilities
- Folks who need active external care
What devices can be used to receive Monbaby?
Monbaby was designed with adopted health care profiles of Bluetooth 4.0, therefore any Bluetooth LE compatible devices can be used as the data receiver. For example, iPhones, android phones, PC with a BLE doggle, or even a monitoring watch …etc. The detail can be illustrated by the following diagram:-
What are the other potential usages?
- Vital signals tracking logs
- Collected data can be stored on the receiver device for a set amount of time.
- When pediatrician asks for the fever information, simply pull out the history log in a second of effort.
- Cloud access for the health data
- Check your baby condition any time anywhere.
- Data analysis for research purpose
- With a big users base, all the health data can be collected anonymously for research purpose.
- Health experts can now have some solid real-life data to base on for their research.
Any concerns about using Monbaby?
- Radio Frequency (RF) emission
- Monbaby uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for its wireless data transmission.
- Compare to a lot of existing baby monitoring products currently sold in the market, BLE incurs only a small fraction of RF emission.
- Wireless transmission can also be minimized by configuring the device to send data only on critical events.
- Monbaby operates on a CR2032 3V battery.